If You Only Can Use One Lens, Which One Would You Choose?
This article is continuation of my previous article (about “which camera and lens do you use?”), you can read here if you haven’t read it. Nowadays I am sure that most of photographers who using DSLR usually have more than one lens – my question is simple “if you only can use one lens (let’s say for 1 year), which one would you choose?”
I know this article is subjective, that’s why I just write which lens I will pick and main reasons why I pick it.
I have used several lenses (some of them I have sold), most of them are Canon:
– Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
– Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS
– Tokina 12-24mm f/4
– Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
– Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L
– Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
– Canon EF 135mm f/2L
– Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L
– Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 fisheye
– Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II
– Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
– Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II
– Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS macro
– Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS
– Nikkor AF-D 50mm f/1.4
From that list if I have to choose one lens then I will pick EF 17-40mm f/4L.
Main reason why I choose EF 17-40mm f/4L:
I shoot many kind of photographs (landscape, portrait (model), wedding, documentary, traveling, etc) so I need a wide-general lens.
Festival / Event:
Other lenses that also can do almost similar with EF 17-40mm f/4L :
1. Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II: this lens has bigger aperture (f/2.8), the quality also better but I don’t think it is worth compare to the price. Of course if money is not big problem then I will get this lens, but still I prefer to spend the same amount of money to buy other things.
2. Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L & Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS : I have ever tried these lenses, both are really nice lenses but in more cases I need wider focal length to shoot landscape. I prefer to sacrifice tele focal length (range) rather than wide focal length.
3. Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II & Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L: I also have tried them, the quality of prime lens is really far better than zoom lens. Both lenses have big aperture, really help to shoot in low light condition. I love using prime lens but for shooting landscape & traveling sometimes I need wider focal length & a little bit focal range.
Thanks for reading my blog and article.
Back to the question again, “if you only can use one lens, which one would you choose?”